Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Grandma's Yummy Rolls

I just read my sister's post about our Grandma and the yummy rolls that she always made for us. I was amazed to see that Aimee, Christopher and I all made Yummy Rolls the night before conference. We all loved them (I think Ashley even created a Vegan recipe at one point, of course the real thing is MUCH better). Aimee's story of Grandma Sweetie is on her blog: http://jongejanslife.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-grandmothers-hands.html

A few things about my Grandma Sweetie (and Grandpa): (I am going to find a photo of Grandma to scan in - it may take a little while to find one, but I'll find it and scan it in)

I'm pretty sure that I was Grandma's favorite, but that is probably just because I was the oldest and we were similar in our thoughts. I talked to Grandma at least once a week until she was too sick and we had to take her to a nursing center. It was so hard for me, I knew how much Grandma wanted to stay in her house, but she was so sick with Alzheimer's. I could sense the decline in her memory and tried to tell mom about it, but I don't think mom could see it as much as I could. I'm so glad that I got to go and help mom with Grandma's house and getting her settled into the nursing home. It gave me the chance to say goodbye to a place I really loved. I got to visit Grandma when I was about 14 to take our cat up to Grandma to have her care for her (Ashley's asthma was too much for her to handle with the kitty there). I spent a week there and loved it, Grandpa knew that I really liked Jello and so he bought me 2 dozen boxes of different flavors of Jello. Then a year or so later, we drove the Winnebago up to ND as a family to visit. After Chandler was born and I worried about Grandma because Grandpa was gone, Shane and I and Chandler went up to visit for a week. We tried to convince her to come to Utah and live with us, but she wanted to stay with her house. I wish she would have come to live with us, I think we could have helped reduce the Alzheimer's, just by having people around and talk to. I love my Grandma Sweetie and I can't wait for her to be sealed to Grandpa, I know she will be so happy.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your memories of Grandma. Funny how even though we all live apart, we're still on the same wave length at times. I'm glad you posted the pictures of you and the kids. They're growing up too fast!! Miss you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures of Sarah. Love the grandma posts. I was going to make rolls too, and I wish I would have, but didn't end up happening. I have a picture of grandma and me at my wedding that I love. I have it on my dresser and look at it often. And, I have to beg to differ on the "favorite" because I was surly the favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rolls sound so yummy. I hope my kids and grandkids will have such fond memories of things that I made for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fact 1:

    Grandma had some special grandma technique when she created the rolls that no one really have reproduce.

    Fact 2:

    My rolls (vegan style) are by far the best yummy rolls (I don't know where the grandma rolls name came from, I remember calling them yummy rolls) out of the entire family!

    Fact 3:

    Yummy rolls (aka grandma rolls) are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, i should of read my comment before I published... what I meant to say for fact 1, is the following:

    Grandma has a special grandma technique when she baked the rolls, that no one can really reproduce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't get it right, so I will stop trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's Shane's song for me - DON'T KNOCK IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. but it is pretty cute that he has that song for you, so I'll at least give him points for that....jake always says "stroke me stroke me" is our song...then he gets smacked on the head.

    ReplyDelete